SPANISH SCHOOL IN TRINIDAD, CUBA
Enjoy the experience of studying and living in the Downtown area of the city of Trinidad within walking distance of the most beautiful and important attractions. Colonial buildings like Iglesia Francisco or Palacio Brunet are accessible in mere minutes. The centre of the city is the departure point for excursions to Valle de los Ingenios or Playa Ancon.
Spanish classes are held at local homes, either in that of the teacher, in the house of the host family or in one of the cultural centres (which most of the time is the local library in Trinidad). Our students come from the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Austria and Great Britain. Occasionally we also have students from France, Italy, Japan, Canada and other countries.
All our programs are available year-round and begin on Mondays.
- Spanish Language course.
- Language and Dance course.
- Language and Music course.
The Spanish level of the students determines the weekly timetable, with classes being either held in the morning at 8.30am or in the afternoon. Courses vary in length from 2 weeks minimum for mini group lessons (with no maximum) to 1 week minimum (no maximum) for one to one instruction.
We offer instruction at all levels from beginners through to an advanced level so you have no need to worry if you have no prior knowledge of the language. If you already have an intermediate or advanced level of Spanish, we offer you classes tailored to your needs.
Our teaching style encourages student interaction. The program consists of a variety of interesting and interactive exercises created to encourage students to practice the Spanish language in a real life setting. This approach helps you to build your confidence, which in turn increases your motivation to learn more.
Please note: grammar books are only available during class hours. Note that the school materials are simple and reduced due the shortage of pens and paper in Cuba. We advise students to bring a grammar book and dictionary as well as their own pen & papers.
All our teachers are native speakers with university degrees and years of experience of teaching to foreigners. Their cultural level, teaching method, talent and personality have always impressed our most demanding students. Many have referred to them as “the best teachers they ever had.”
We advise accommodation in host families. A host family can be an elderly couple, a younger couple with children, a single mother with children, a widow etc. All families have an official license to welcome foreigners into their homes. The selected host families live in spacious homes in a nice residential part of town. These homes are always within walking distance from where the classes are held and from where other students are staying.
The host family will come to the meeting point to meet the student. Or the student will get the address of the host family and he/ she has to travel to the host family. All families are located in the same area in walking distance from each other.
Your host family offers:
- Single, double (and twin) rooms.
- Half board (breakfast and dinner) included.
- Double rooms only for students travelling together.
- Dinner is between 18.30 - 20.00 hours.
- All rooms have air-conditioning or a fan.
- Rooms have a private bathroom.
- Towels and sheets are provided.
- Laundry is not included, but host families take care of the laundry for a small charge.
- Cuban people are not allowed to stay with a host family.
- All homes in same area within walking distance to class and from each other.
Every week the school organizes social plans to help students visit the most attractive places in Cuba and enjoy the local events. You can enjoy any of the following activities:
- Dance: Dance classes (individual and in groups) e.g. salsa, mambo, rumba, cha-cha-cha, son.
- Music: Music classes (only individual) e.g. percussion, guitar, trumpet.
- Guided city tour: enquire at the school for current tour
- Religion: To witness Santeria or consult with Santeria priests. Santeria is a fusion of Catholicism with the Lucumi religion of the African Yoruba tribes.
Not only is Cuba a beautiful country, it also has a population that is very friendly and hospitable in spite of the economic difficulties it underwent in the last few years. It's a country of music, poetry, dancing, singing and chatting. People still have time for each other and for their guests. Cuba is like going back in time to the 50's: old cars, a relaxed atmosphere, no hurry. Apart from that Cuba has a nice climate; all year round you can enjoy the beaches, water sports etc
Trinidad was the third Spanish settlement in Cuba after Baracoa and Bayamo. It used to be a very important harbour and apart from tobacco, sugar was the most important agricultural product. In the 19th century Trinidad was a wealthy town but all this changed during the two wars of independence. Now, Trinidad is a “museum town” (but surprisingly lively!) of about 50.000 inhabitants. This city is the best preserved Spanish colonial town in Cuba and therefore offers a wonderful atmosphere. Most evenings live traditional music can be enjoyed in several bars.
Trinidad is an exceptional destination in Cuba. This charming town has been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO and once you are there it is easy to understand why. Its colonial atmosphere, crafts, rustic streets, shows and historical roots transport you to a different time. The town is also close to the beautiful Ancon beach, sugar plantations and the Valle de los Ingenios. At night the town becomes very festive with performers of the social-cultural centres like Casa de la Trova and Casa de la Musica.
Visits to the most popular places for 1-day or weekend excursions are available. In general students travel in couples or mini group of 4 people to make transportation cheaper. Excursions can be contracted once at the school. Examples of popular excursions are:
- Playa Ancon
- Valle de los Ingenios (also called Valley of the Sugar Mills). Three interconnected valleys about 12 km outside of Trinidad. This valley is a natural history museum and offers several excursion options
- Cayo Blanco Excursion by boat
To enter Cuba every tourist needs a passport (that's still valid for 6 months after arrival) and a tourist card that normally can be purchased together with the flight. This tourist visa is usually valid for 30 days. At the immigration office one extension of 30 days can be made. After a total of 60 days the student will have to leave Cuba for at least one day to enter again on a tourist visa.
On the first day of school we hold an initial placement test in order to place you at your correct level, then the first day of class begins at 8.30am at our meeting point.
WE RECOMMEND THIS SCHOOL BECAUSE
- The school takes on a very interactive approach to learning
- The teaching methodology focuses on conversation and increasing individual confidence
- The teachers have extensive experience and aim to make the learning process a fun and successful one.
- You will enjoy the cultural approach possible through the homestay and class experience, through which you can experience the real Cuban life and easily make local friends.
- Trinidad is the best preserved Spanish colonial town in Cuba and therefore offers a wonderful atmosphere.
If you want more information about this school or if you want to register, please click here