THE SPANISH LANGUAGE
is the second most spoken language in the world due to the number of speakers who claim it as their native tongue (after Mandarin Chinese). It is spoken as a first and second language amongst 450 and 500 million people. It is the third most spoken language as a first or second language after Mandarin Chinese and English combined, and is the mother tongue to 400 million people worldwide... Read more
SPANISH SCHOOL IN HAVANA, CUBA
Our school and accommodations are situated in Vedado, a friendly, residential neighbourhood that is considered the current Havana downtown. It is the area of business, commerce and nightlife. Classes are held at local homes, either in the teacher’s home or in the house of the host family.
The average age of our students is 30 years and they mainly come from the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Austria and Great Britain. Occasionally also students from France, Italy, Japan, Canada and other countries.
All of our Spanish programs are available all year round and start every Monday.
- Spanish Language course
- Language and Dance course
- Language and Music course
The timetable is decided according to student level and classes are either held in the morning at 8.30am or in the afternoon. Courses vary in length from 2 weeks minimum for mini group lessons (with no maximum) to 1 week minimum (no maximum) for one to one instruction.
Whatever your level of Spanish, we provide instruction from basic through to advanced. Even if you have no prior knowledge of the language, our expert professors you will have you talking in no time! If you already have an intermediate or advanced level, we offer you classes suited to your needs.
Our teaching style encourages student interaction. The program consists of a variety of interesting and interactive exercises created to encourage students to practice the Spanish language in a real life setting. This approach helps you to build your confidence, which in turn increases your motivation to learn more.
Please note: grammar books are only available during class hours. Note that the school materials are simple and reduced due the shortage of pens and paper in Cuba. We advise students to bring a grammar book and dictionary as well as their own pen & papers.
All our teachers are native speakers with university degrees and years of experience of teaching to foreigners. Their cultural level, teaching method, talent and personality have always impressed our most demanding students. Many have referred to them as “the best teachers they ever had.”
We advise accommodation in host families. A host family can be an elderly couple, a younger couple with children, a single mother with children, a widow etc. All families have an official license to welcome foreigners into their homes. The selected host families live in spacious homes in a nice residential part of town. These homes are always within walking distance from where the classes are held and from where other students are staying.
The host family will come to the meeting point to meet the student. Or the student will get the address of the host family and he/ she has to travel to the host family. All families are located in the same area in walking distance from each other.
Your host family offers:
- Single, double (and twin) rooms.
- Half board (breakfast and dinner) included.
- Double rooms only for students travelling together.
- Dinner is between 18.30 - 20.00 hours.
- All rooms have air-conditioning or a fan.
- Most rooms have a private bathroom.
- Towels and sheets are provided.
- Laundry is not included, but host families take care of the laundry for a small charge.
- Cuban people are not allowed to stay with a host family.
- All homes in same area within walking distance to class and from each other.
Every week the school organizes social plans to help students visit the most attractive places in Cuba and enjoy the local events. You can enjoy any of the following activities:
- Dance: Dance classes (individual and in groups) e.g. salsa, mambo, rumba, cha-cha-cha, son.
- Guided city tour: enquire at the school for current tour
- Music:Music classes (only individual) e.g. percussion, guitar, trumpet.
- Religion: To witness Santeria or consult with Santeria priests. Santeria is a fusion of Catholicism with the Lucumi religion of the African Yoruba tribes.
Not only is Cuba a beautiful country, it also has a population that is very friendly and hospitable in spite of the economic difficulties it underwent in the last few years. It's a country of music, poetry, dancing, singing and chatting. People still have time for each other and for their guests. Cuba is like going back in time to the 50's: old cars, a relaxed atmosphere, no hurry. Apart from that Cuba has a nice climate; all year round you can enjoy the beaches, water sports etc.
Havana is a city one has to learn to appreciate. It is a melting pot of cultures and races, an open-air museum under the strict direction of Castro. Apart from the picturesque inner city, the “Playas del Este” and the famous Malecon (the immense boulevard that is considered to be the living room of Havana) you should take some time to get to know Vedado. This is the part of Havana where the host families live and where you find many art deco buildings that would be considered national monuments in many countries. Havana guarantees you an unforgettable experience.
Visits to the most popular places for 1-day or weekend excursions are available. In general students travel in couples or mini group of 4 people to make transportation cheaper. Excursions can be contracted once at the school. Examples of popular excursions are:
- Playas del Este: The most popular beach is Santa Maria. It is 30min of distance to Vedado.
- Valle de Vinales: One of Cuba’s greatest natural attractions. It is a lush valley, famed for its picturesque tobacco farms.
- Varadero: Resort town in the province of Matanzas. One of the largest resort areas in the Caribbean. Also called Playa Azul.
To enter Cuba every tourist needs a passport (that's still valid for 6 months after arrival) and a tourist card that normally can be purchased together with the flight. This tourist visa is usually valid for 30 days. At the immigration office one extension of 30 days can be made (aprox. Euro 29). After a total of 60 days the student will have to leave Cuba for at least one day to enter again on a tourist visa.
On the first day we hold an initial placement test in order to place you at your correct level, then the first day of class begins at 8.30am at our meeting point.
WE RECOMMEND THIS SCHOOL BECAUSE
- Havana city offers an exciting and unique experience quite unlike any other.
- The school takes on a very interactive approach to learning
- The teaching methodology focuses on conversation and increasing individual confidence
- The teachers have extensive experience and aim to make the learning process a fun and successful one.
- You will enjoy the cultural approach possible through the homestay and class experience, through which you can experience the real Cuban life and easily make local friends.
If you want more information about this school or if you want to register, please click here